To be eligible for a minor and certification in Secondary Education, Grades 6-12, through the College of Education, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Major: Eligible to enroll in 300/400 level courses with a major in either the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Sciences with emphasis on critical-need teaching areas for Secondary Education, Grades 6-12.
- GPA: 2.5 Cumulative GPA or higher.
- Praxis Exam: Passing scores on all 3 sections of the Praxis Core Knowledge Skills for Educators-Reading, Writing, and Mathematics or ACT composite of 22 or higher.
Course Requirements (24 credit hours)
Once you are admitted into the Secondary Education minor program, you are required to complete all professional education courses listed below.
NOTE: No final grade below a "C' is accepted for any course required for the minor and teacher certification. Any request for a course substitution(s) must be approved by the College of Education Office of Student Services in MDD 105.
- EDCI 427- Teaching Reading in a Diverse Society
- EDCI 450G- Classroom Management and Instructional Design for Secondary Teachers
- EDFL 456- Classroom Assessment
- IRED 320- Technology in the Classroom
- PSYC 312- Adolescent Psychology
- READ 410- Teaching Content Literacy in the Secondary/Middle School
- SPED 391- Foundations of Special Education
- EDCI 4XX- Secondary School Subject Area Methods; EDCI 448-English; EDCI 452-Mathematics; EDCI 453- General Science; EDCI 454-Social Studies; EDCI 463G- Foreign Languages
In addition to coursework, you must complete complete Residency I and Residency II of the Teacher Residency in two consecutive semesters. Residency I (EDCI 400) is zero credit hours and credit (CR) must be earned in the semester consecutive to Residency II. Residency II of the Teacher Residency consist of 9 credit hours of EDCI 479. The Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) (5622, 5623, or 5624), the Praxis Content Knowledge exam, and all course work listed must be passed to be eligible for Residency II of the Teacher Residency.
- EDCI 400- Residency I
- EDCI 479- Student Teaching in Secondary School
For questions about certification, please contact the Office of Student Services at 337-482-6681.