IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION BEFORE YOU COMPLETE THE TEACHER RESIDENCY I APPLICATION!
All teacher candidates completing the second semester of the Junior year or all candidates anticipating Residency I in Fall 2021 are required to complete the Teacher Residency I application for approval to start Teacher Residency I (EDCI 400, 472, 473, 474, 475, or 480). The application must be completed and submitted no later than Friday, February 26, 2021. In addition, all candidates must meet all Teacher Residency I requirements by no later than May 1, 2021.
Please note only one submission is allowed. If you would like to make revisions to the application after you submit it, please contact Tiffany Taylor via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 337-482-6678.
All candidates are required to attend the mandatory Teacher Residency I informational meeting held through Zoom. If you are unable to attend this meeting, please contact the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences by emailing Mrs. Marlene Beard at email@example.com
All candidates must meet all requirements as outlined below prior to receiving approval from the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences to start Residency I. NOTE: Teacher Residency I starts the first day of the assigned school district’s calendar and ends on the last day of the assigned school district’s calendar.
- Attend the mandatory Residency I meeting.
- Apply for a valid resident teacher certificate. The resident teacher certificate is valid for one school year and allows a candidate to simultaneously serve as paid a substitute teacher for up to ten days per semester. The hours accrued during the days of serving as a substitute teacher will be counted towards the hours required for Teacher Residency I. NOTE: The application for the resident teacher certificate will be completed at the mandatory Residency I meeting.
- Have a minimum 2.5 overall GPA (includes both transfer GPA and institutional GPA) and a minimum 2.5 overall major GPA (includes both the required professional education coursework and the required content area coursework).
- Successfully earn credit for all prior coursework attempted. A candidate will not be allowed to start Residency I with an incomplete (I) in a course(s).
- Enroll in Teacher Residency I (EDCI 400, 472, 473, 474, 475, or 480) and all additional required coursework with the exception of Teacher Residency II (EDCI 476, 477,478, 479,or 488) and EDCI 440 (if applicable). NOTE: Candidates are required to complete all coursework prior to the start of Residency II; however, if necessary, only one non-education course, which excludes courses with a prefix of EDCI, EDFL, HLTH, IRED, KNES, READ, or SPED, may be scheduled after residency school hours during the same semester as Residency II.
- Submit to the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences proof of affiliation with a professional educational organization offering education liability insurance, such as A+PEL, LAE, LAHPERD, Kappa Delta Pi, etc. See Organizations & Association for more information.
- Complete the Teacher Residency I application by Friday, February 26, 2021 during the semester prior to the start of Teacher Residency I (EDCI 400, 472, 473, 474, 475, or 480).
Pass all parts of the Praxis II tests (Content Knowledge and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)).
- Official passing Praxis II scores must be received by no later than May 1st for candidates anticipating Teacher Residency I in the Fall semester.
- Official passing Praxis II scores must be received by no later than December 1st for candidates anticipating Teacher Residency I in the Spring semester.
NOTE: A candidate who does not earn a "C" or better in Teacher Residency I (EDCI 400, 472, 473, 474, 475, or 480) and/or a candidate who must repeat courework is required to repeat Teacher Residency I (EDCI 400, 472, 473, 474, 475, or 480).
NOTE: A candidate must successfully complete Residency I and Residency II in two consecutive semesters.
**Effective Fall 2021, all candidates entering Teacher Residency I will enroll in the following course:
- Art or Music Education- EDCI 400
- Early Childhood Education- EDCI 472 (NOTE: This course replaces EDCI 400.)
- Elementary Education- EDCI 473 (NOTE: This course replaces EDCI 400.)
- Middle School Education- EDCI 474 (NOTE: This course replaces EDCI 400.)
- Secondary Education and Teaching- EDCI 475 (NOTE: This course replaces EDCI 400.)
- Health & Physical Education- EDCI 480 (NOTE: This course replaces EDCI 400.)