All teacher candidates completing the second semester of the Junior year or all candidates anticipating Residency I in Fall 2020 are required to complete the Residency I application for approval to start Residency I (EDCI 400). The application must be completed and submitted no later than Thursday, April 2, 2020.
Please note only one submission is allowed. If you would like to make revisions to the application after you submit it, please contact Tiffany Taylor via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 337-482-6678.
All candidates are required to attend the mandatory Teacher Residency I informational meeting held through Zoom on Friday, April 3, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. If you are unable to attend this meeting, please contact the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences by emailing Mrs. Marlene Beard at email@example.com
All candidates must meet all requirements as outlined below prior to receiving approval from the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences to start Residency I. NOTE: Residency I starts the first day of the assigned school district’s calendar and ends on the last day of the assigned school district’s calendar.
- Attempt all parts of the Praxis II tests (Content Knowledge and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)).
- Complete the Residency I application by the established deadline during the semester prior to the start of EDCI 400 (Teacher Residency I).
- Attend the mandatory Residency I meeting.
- Apply for a valid resident teacher certificate. The resident teacher certificate is valid for one school year and allows a candidate to simultaneously serve as paid a substitute teacher for up to ten days per semester. The hours accrued during the days of serving as a substitute teacher will be counted towards the hours required for Residency I. NOTE: The application for the resident teacher certificate will be completed at the mandatory Residency I meeting.
- Have a minimum 2.5 overall GPA (includes both transfer GPA and institutional GPA) and a minimum 2.5 overall major GPA (includes both the required professional education coursework and the required content area coursework).
- Enroll in EDCI 400 (Teacher Residency I) and all additional required coursework with the exception of Teacher Residency II and EDCI 440 (if applicable).
- Submit to the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences proof of affiliation with a professional educational organization offering education liability insurance, such as A+PEL, LAE, LAHPERD, Kappa Delta Pi, etc. See Organizations & Association for more information.
Requirements to earn credit (CR) for EDCI 400 (Teacher Residency I):
- Complete all required residency hours.
- Complete and submit all Residency I VIA artifacts.
- Have official passing scores for all parts of PRAXIS II tests (Content Knowledge and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)). NOTE: Official scores must be received by UL Lafayette by no later than the last day of final exams week.
NOTE: A candidate receiving no credit (NC) for EDCI 400 is required to repeat EDCI 400 (Teacher Residency I). NOTE: A candidate must earn credit (CR) for Residency I and Residency II in two consecutive semesters.